Blog Archive

Tuesday 6 April 2010

Location, Location, Location...

...The Lake District has got to be on the top 10 list for perfect places to live while training for such an extreme expedition. Mountains, Fells and Water offer a hole host of activities to do right on my doorstep. And if the weather isn't too good you still have the gym to turn to :)

Mountain biking, walking and wake boarding are just a selection of things that are on offer for my daily training. I have to say Mountain biking and walking are my favorite activities. I'm very new to wake boarding but i can already feel myself falling in love with the sport - it's a great activity for working your core while having fun at the same time... and yes in the freezing cold Lake! Got to make the most of the beautiful surroundings on offer - and if that means (apologies for the pun) in at the deep end then so be it.

Grizedale Forest is one of my favorite places in the Lakes to hit the hills with my bike - The North Face Trail (16km) offers a rush of curves, berms and north shore, uphill and downhill which takes riders on an adventure trail through Grizedale Forest. The North Face trail is more of an adventure than a gruelling work out and I find myself all too easily getting carried away and doing far more than i normally would out and about in a few hours. 30 miles a day is the norm at the moment when i'm out. There's also an extra bonus .. a cafe for a nice ice cold Coke before taking to the hills again.

Walking... well if you can't find me in the gym or at Grizedale i'll probably be up one of the many Mountains and Fells that are on offer. After work I'll go for a quick jog up Wansfell or Loughrigg as the light is limited but days off will take me up Fairfield, Scafell Pike, Helvellyn... just a few to mention.

Tyre pulling is another favorite past time of mine. *Hmm a hint of sarcasm i feel*. Up hill, down hill, across rough and smooth terrain - you name it i'm doing it! At least it's not a giant tractor tyre yet!!

If all else fails i'll be at the gym pounding away on the X-Trainer... trying to build up the desired fitness lever... 4 hours at maximum resistance on the X-Trainer!

One feels, one may need a spare pair of legs!

No comments:

Post a Comment